Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pride & It's Cold Outside!

Thanks to everyone who sent me a personal note of affirmation. I really appreciate those! There was one common thread in what people said to me; all of them told me how proud of us they are. 
How proud they are of what we do.
How proud that we're out here sticking it out. 
And they're right. What we do is worthy of pride. So that's the answer to "Why do we farm?" The answer is "We farm because we are proud of what we do."
Incidentally, I looked up pride on Merriam Webster and it reminded me that a group of lions are a pride. Perhaps our family is a group of lions.
As a follow up to the last post, I wanted to show you what Ryan did to his farmagon. He got his drafting supplies out from college and redrew it. Note also the location of honor it has in our house.
So I'm also writing this on what will probably be the coldest day of the year. Because of that, we need a "how Ryan gets ready to do chores" post!
Step one: Put on long johns. No picture for this one because, well, because. 
Step two: After donning jeans (See this post item 1) and a sweatshirt, put on your coat liner and tell your wife with the camera she's being silly.

Step 3: Put on a puffy vest, having chosen the "least stupid-looking" vest of the three that came out of Grandpa's closet.


Step 4: The Carhartts. Yes, these are deeply important. They are not just insulated overalls with a tear in them I've repaired twice. They are an important part of farmerhood. Yes, I made that word up. But it's true. It's one of those things that makes one a FARMER instead of just a farmer. 


I'll note that they're navy blue because the traditional Carhartt color, s#!& brown (for a reason.. think about it) was just plain too ugly for this former city boy. I'm with him on this one.




Step 5: Put on the coat shell and the boots. All told, about a 20 minute process.



It actually just occurred to me that we didn't purchase hardly anything this man is wearing other than the jeans. God bless mothers, mother-in-laws, grandmas, and grandpas.
I take that back. I bought him the wool socks. And he bought the hat.


It's so people can see him during deer season. 

No comments: